What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 (also referred to as coronavirus or novel coronavirus) is a respiratory illness that was first reported in December 2019 in Wuhan City in China and has since spread globally. There are currently confirmed cases of COVID-19 in nearly all Australian states and territories and the situation is changing rapidly. COVID-19 is most likely to spread from person-to-person and symptoms range from a mild cough to pneumonia. Current information about COVID-19 shows the majority of people infected have a mild form of the illness, however, older people are at much greater risk of serious illness
Updated - 22 March: Industry Code for Visiting Residential Aged Care Homes during COVID-19
The ‘Industry Code for Visiting Residential Aged Care Homes during COVID-19’ has been released by 13 aged care peak bodies and consumer advocacy organisations. The Code creates a nationally consistent approach that ensures residents can receive visitors while minimising the risk of spreading COVID-19.
To view the Industry Code, please click here.
- Fact sheet - Coronavirus (COVID-19) advice for older Australians
- Fact Sheet - The Industry Code for Visiting Residential Aged Care Homes during COVID-19
- The Industry Code available in different languages - https://www.cota.org.au/policy/aged-care-reform/agedcarevisitors/
- Fact sheet - Coronavirus (COVID-19) information for families and residents on restricted visits to residential aged care facilities
- Information on self-isolation - https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/how-to-protect-yourself-and-others-from-coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-self-quarantine-for-coronavirus-covid-19
- Identify the symptoms - https://www.health.gov.au/resources/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-identifying-the-symptoms
- Advice on public gatherings and visits - https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/coronavirus-covid-19-advice-for-public-gatherings-and-visits-to-vulnerable-groups
- Fact sheet - National Health Plan: prescriptions via telehealth – a guide for patients
- Home Medicines Service - health.gov.au/resources/publications/covid-19-national-health-plan-primary-care-home-medicines-services-to-support-the-response-to-covid-19
- Helpsheets by Dementia Australia
- Translated COVID-19 resources
- Department of Health - https://www.health.gov.au/resources/translated?page=1
For non-English speakers or if English is a second language, please contact the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) if you would like assistance with understanding this information via https://www.tisnational.gov.au/ or phone 131 450.
Special Edition Webinars: COVID-19 and what it means for people in Aged Care
Older Persons Advocacy Network (OPAN) have put together a range of special webinars for community members and aged care workforce. Visit https://opan.org.au/information/covid-19-information/ for more information.
- Australian Government Department of Health - https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert
- SA Health - https://www.sahealth.sa.gov.au/covid-19
- World Health Organization - https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
- COVID-19 hotline - 1800 171 866 (this hotline will help older Australians get the critical information they need to stay healthy and safe during the pandemic. It provides access to personal support, questions and up-to-date guidelines.)
- COVID-19 Mental Health Support new online chat - The service is available via email SACOVIDMentalHealth.org.au and phone or video call on 1800 632 753, 8am to 8pm, seven days a week
- National Coronavirus Helpline - 1800 020 080
- Older Persons Advocacy Network FAQ page - https://opan.com.au/covid-19-faqs/
- Older Persons Advocacy Network Resources page - https://opan.com.au/covid-19-resources/
- COTA Australia - https://www.cota.org.au/information/covid19/
- Legal Services Commission of South Australia - https://lsc.sa.gov.au/
- Beyond Blue - https://coronavirus.beyondblue.org.au/?utm_campaign=hp_banner
- Lifeline - https://www.lifeline.org.au/get-help/topics/mental-health-and-wellbeing-during-the-coronavirus-covid-19-outbreak
- Dementia Australia - https://www.dementia.org.au/an-update-from-dementia-australia
- Dementia Support Australia (DSA provides advice and recommendations to people who care for someone with dementia where behaviours are impacting their care) - https://dementia.com.au/
- My Aged Care - https://www.myagedcare.gov.au/
- Search your local Council to find specific information and restrictions for your suburb - https://www.lga.sa.gov.au/page.aspx?u=6561#e7576
- Telecross REDi COVID-19 - Older South Australians can opt to receive a free phone call checking on their welfare in response to COVID-19. Older people, or their legal representatives, can register for the Telecross REDi COVID-19 service. Phone 1800 188 071 or Register with Red Cross online
- National Indigenous Australians Agency - https://www.niaa.gov.au/news-centre/indigenous-affairs/keeping-remote-communities-safe-coronavirus-covid-19
- Smart Traveller - https://www.smartraveller.gov.au/